Enter Desired Grade
Enter Class Total Weight
You can use the calculator above to calculate your weighted grade average. For each assignment, enter the grade you received and the weight of the assignment. If you have more than 10 assignments, use the "Add Row" button to add additional input fields. Once you have entered your data, press the "calculate" button and you will see the calculated average grade in the results area.
If you want to calculate the average grade you need on your remaining assignments (or on your final exam) in order to get a certain grade in the class, enter the desired grade you would like to get in the class. Then enter the total weight of all your class assignments. Often the total weight of all class assignments is equal to 100, but this is not always the case. Press either the “Calculate” button or the “Update” button and you will see your average grade for the class and the results will be displayed in the results area.
How to calculate weighted grade average?
- First multiple the grade received by the weight of the assignment. Repeat this for each completed assignment.
- Then add each of the calculated values from step 1 together.
- Next add the weight of all the completed assignments together.
- Finally, divide the calculated value from step 2 above by the value calculated from step 3. This gives you the weighted grade average.
Weighted Grade Formula
Weighted Grade = (w1 x g1 + w2 x g2 + w3 x g3 + …) / (w1 + w2 + w3 + …)
w = weight
g = grade
Here is an example. Let's say you received a 90% on your first assignment and it was worth 10% of the class grade. Then let's assume you took a test and received an 80% on it. The test was worth 20% of your grade.
To calculate your average grade, follow these steps:
- Multiple each grade by its weight. In this example, you received a 90% on the first assignment and it was worth 10%. So multiply 90 x 10 = 900. You also received an 80% on the test and it was worth 20% of the class grade. So multiply 80 x 20 = 1600.
- Add the calculated values from step 1 together. We now have 900 + 1600 = 2500.
- Add the weight of all the completed assignments together. To do this, add 10% for the first assignment and 20% for the second assignment. That gives us 10 + 20 = 30.
- Finally, divide the value from step 2 by the value from step 3. That gives us 2500 / 30 = 83.33. Therefore our weighted grade average is 83.33%.